Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used Richmond, Australia
Hat - Motoring, Leather, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, circa 1960s Reg. No: SH 890909
- Alternative Name(s): Helmet
Brown leather hat, fur-lined. Made circa 1960-1969 by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd.
Found in large storeroom downstairs at Simpson's Glove Factory. Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
- Brown leather hat, fur-lined hat. Has long back flap with metal press stud peak at front with metal press studs to clip it back, leather chin strap with metal buckle, brown cotton lining. Small adjustable strap/buckle at back of head.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||21.50 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life, motoring|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Tag: MADE BY/Simpson's Gloves/P/L/VICTORIA/TOP GRAIN HIDE.|
|Place & Date Used:||Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1960-1969|