Search the collections
Ensemble - Prue Acton,`Byzantium', Melbourne Cup, 1980 Reg. No: SH 942096
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1980. It was worn by the donor to the 1980 Melbourne Cup. It iis made of Byzantia print fabric. According to the donor, the pants were purchased oversized and modified to complete ensemble.
Prue Acton's Melbourne Cup clothing was specially designed for her to draw attention to Australian designers and in particular to her forthcoming winter range.
- Three piece white ensemble consisting of a jacket, top and pants:
(1) Beige silk jacket in Bizantian print of pale green and brown tones. The front fastening consists of many small covered buttons which fasten with loops. The mandarin collar, shoulders and sleeve cuffs are decorated with brass studs.
(2) Silk Bizantian print camisole top with shoestring straps.
(3) Brown suede Claude Montana pants decorated with brass studs.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimension Comment:||Lengths: .1 - 67 cms; .3 - 108 cms; .2 - 57 cms|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, horse racing, melbourne cup racing carnival, women s clothing, making history - prue acton|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Labels on jacket: 28/ 11/ 5/ 12
Labels on top: 15/ 11/ 96
Labels on pants, printed black on cream: CLAUDE MONTANA/ pour/ IDEAL-CUIR/ MADE IN PARIS FRANCE
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1980|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1980|
|Designer:||Mr Claude Montana, Paris, France, 1980|
|User:||Prue Acton, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1980|