Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A User Carlton, Australia
Sign - Black Magic Chocolates, circa 1950 Reg. No: SH 921110
- Black Magic Chocolates advertising sign, circa 1950, displayed at the Old Lolly Shop, Carlton North.
The Old Lolly Shop was a milk bar opened and run by Elizabeth and Henry Cohen at 314 Rathdowne Street, Carlton North, from 1939 to 1975.
- Wooden rectangular shaped sign of portrait design. Ground colour cream with painted image of man and woman (heads only) and floral spray of mauve roses. Text along bottom edge. Reverse plan, remnants of orange paint on frame.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Alan Cohen, 1992
- Donated in memory of Elizabeth and Henry Cohen.
|Dimensions:||93.20 cm (Height), 5.00 cm (Width), 68.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||advertising signs, confectioneries, jewish communities, religions judaism, retailing, shops, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Old Lolly Shop Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Milk Bars|
|Inscriptions:||Text: We know that/BLACK MAGIC Chocolates/ARE THE/BEST!|
|Date Made:||circa 1950|
|User:||The Old Lolly Shop, Carlton, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950-1975|