Search the collections
Mittens - Louis Trudel, Hubert Wilkins, 1938-1939 Reg. No: SH 930735
- Pair of fur mittens made by Louis Trudel Ltd. They were originally owned by Australian aviator Sir Hubert Wilkins, and subsequently by Australian Antarctic Division Director Dr Phillip Law, and were used by both men in the Antarctic. They are part of Museum Victoria's collection of artefacts from the inter-war and post-war eras of scientific exploration of Antarctica.
- Pair of very large mittens, made predominantly from white, light brown and black polar bear fur. The glove is to be worn as an outside layer of clothing and as such has a wide, extensive cuff around the bottom to accommodate the wind proof sleeves of an outer garment. The palms of the gloves are faced with a soft, brown leather, and the inside of the gloves is lined with a black padded or quilted lining. Attached to this lining on the inside of one of the mittens is a rectangular cloth label with gold coloured writing and an emblem featuring what appears to be a polar bear on the side of a mountain, a crown and the letter "T". Sewn roughly to one corner at the bottom of the glove is a long piece of rope or cord. This cord is tied in a knot in the centre and joins the two mittens together.
- Statement Of Significance:
- These gloves connect two great Australian explorers, Sir Hubert Wilkins and Dr Phillip Law. They were originally owned by Wilkins who used them during the Ellsworth expedition which concluded in 1939. They were left in Australia by Sir H. Wilkins along with other material, which included, clothing, binoculars and cameras. The gloves were acquired by Law, who used them exclusively during the 1956 Antarctic expedition, but only in very severe conditions. The remainder of Wilkins' outfit is held by the Canterbury Museum. Louis Trudel was a significant fur dealer in Canada who supplied clothing for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police amongst others.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Dr Phillip Law - Australian Antarctic Division Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition, 1993
|Dimensions:||4.00 cm (Height), 32.00 cm (Width), 37.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||clothing, antarctic exploration, arctic exploration, gloves, making history - antarctic|
|Themes this item is part of:||Antarctic Clothing, Dr Phillip Law, Scientist, Explorer & Administrator (1912-2010), Ship History - HMAS Wyatt Earp, Antarctica Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||clothing accessories|
|Inscriptions:||Stitched inner label: Louis Trudel/Furs Ltd./ EDMONTON, ALTA.|
|Manufacturer:||Louis Trudel Ltd, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, 1938-1939|
|Place & Date Used:||Antarctica, 1930s-1950s|
|User:||Sir Hubert Wilkins, 1938-1939
Used by Wilkins during the final Lincoln Ellsworth Antarctic Expedition.
|User:||Dr Phillip Law - Australian Antarctic Division Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition, 1950s|