Search the collections
Similar items over time
Soap - Carbolic, Kew Mental Hospital, circa 1880 Reg. No: SH 850027
- Bars of carbolic soap made and used by patients at Kew Asylum, a mental health hospital in Victoria, Australia, circa 1880. Four patients at Kew were employed to make 84,600 3lb bars of soap per year.
Throughout the second half of the nineteenth century patients in Victorian mental institutions were encouraged to engage in work or occupational therapy as part of a broader approach to the treatment of mental illness known as "moral therapy". Hailing ultimately from the humanist attitudes characteristic of new eighteenth century European philosophies that were emerging alongside such other significant social events as the Revolution in France and the industrialization of British manufacturing, moral therapy was grounded in values of self-improvement and social progress, ideals that were amplified by the abundance of opportunity on offer in colonial gold-rush Victoria. A patient's contribution to the asylum community through their work was regarded as morally fortifying, if not curative, and also had the added advantage of improving the self-sustainability of the institution. Some of the tasks that were regarded as suitable for the patients to undertake included gardening, farming, laundry, embroidery, kitchen work and basic manufacturing.
- 3 bars and 12 broken pieces of greyish yellow handmade soap. The whole bars are 27 x 4 x 4cm but pieces range down to 3cm in length. Note 87.12 - totally disintegrated.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This soap is an example of occupational activities undertaken by patients at mental health hospitals in Victoria, Australia, in the late 1800s. It also illustrates the hygiene products used at mental health hospitals in Victoria, Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Kew Mental Hospital (Asylum)
|Dimensions:||4.30 cm (Height), 2.80 cm (Width), 4.30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||hospitals, mental health, mental health institutions, psychiatric services, making history - psych services, occupational therapy, psychiatric hospitals, psychiatric institutions, cleaning products, soap|
|Themes this item is part of:||Psychiatric Institutions of the Past, Psychiatric Services Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Bathing & hygiene within Victorian Mental Health Institutions|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Mental Health - Institutional Life|
|Place & Date Made:||Kew Mental Hospital (Asylum), Kew, Victoria, Australia, Circa 1880|
|Place & Date Used:||Kew Mental Hospital (Asylum), Kew, Victoria, Australia, Circa 1880|
|References:||Information included in display|