Search the collections
Apothecary Jar - Tincture of Myrrh, circa 1900 Reg. No: SH 850512
- Clear apothecary jar containing traces of tincture of myrrh used in a pharmacy of a mental health hospital, Victoria, circa 1900.
Myrrh was used as an antiseptic and primarily used in mouthwashes, gargles and toothpastes for prevention and treatment of gum disease.
- Small, slim, clear glass apothecary's jar containing remnants of tincture of myrrh. Jar has round, slightly concave base, straight sides, hemi-spherical shoulder and shortish, slim neck with broad protruding lip. Has glass stopper with flat, circular, horizontal top. Label is painted on back of curved oblong perspex plate which is glued into inset on side of jar. It is painted in black on white (with red and gold border) on inside of perspex plate, inset on side of jar.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Office of Psychiatric Services
|Dimensions:||217 mm (Height), 72 mm (Diameter)|
|Tagged with:||dentistry, pharmaceuticals, psychiatric hospitals, making history - psych services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Psychiatric Services Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Mental Health - Pharmacy|
|Place & Date Used:||Victoria, Australia, circa 1900|
|References:||British pharmaceutical codex, 1963. London. Pharmaceutical Press.|