Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used South Yarra, Australia
Donation Box - 'Methodist Babies Home', Melbourne, circa 1929 Reg. No: SH 891627
- Alternative Name(s): Collecting Box; Donation Box
Used: circa 1929
The operations of the Methodist Babies' Home were supported by donations sought from Methodists throughout Victoria. The "young men of Methodism" were especially encouraged to seek donations in their local church congregations, and to run fund-raising events within the congregation and the wider community.
The Methodist Babies Home was opened in 1929. Babies, especially from the inner-city slums, were referred to the home through the Children's Court. From 1929 until the early 1970s the Home's role was to care for babies awaiting adoption. From 1974, the direct care of neglected babies was phased out in favour of family-unit-based support services.
- Rectangular varnished collecting box with hinged lid and lock. Name painted in gold paint on front of box. Used to hold donations to the Methodist Babies Home.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Copelen Street Family Services, 1989
|Dimensions:||11.00 cm (Height), 12.00 cm (Width), 22.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||charities, children s homes, fundraising, orphanages|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Methodist Babies Home, South Yarra, 1929-1970|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS|
|Secondary Classification:||Children's Homes|
|Inscriptions:||Painted on front in gold paint: "METHODIST BABIES HOME"|
|Place & Date Made:||Victoria, Australia, 1929 or later|
|Place & Date Used:||Methodist Babies Home, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, circa 1929-1970|