Search the collections
Rattler for Sheep - Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, pre 1987 Reg. No: SH 900069
- Rattler for herding sheep. Used at the Newmarket Saleyards.
During the peak seasonal periods huge numbers of stock were moved to, from and around the Newmarket saleyards. Even up until the late 1950s stock going to and from the markets was moved through the streets of Melbourne, and particularly Newmarket. Sheep, cattle and, in the earlier days, pigs were driven to Newmarket down main traffic roads; from railway sidings to the saleyards; through drafting, receiving, penning and selling yards; from the saleyards to the adjoining abattoirs. Prior to the construction of the McLennan Bridge over Racecourse Road in 1964 to facilitate the movement of stock, cattle and sheep were herded directly into yards from the Newmarket rail siding along Newmarket Street, Ascot Vale Road. Red and green ?Turner's Flags? were used to control traffic when stock was crossing the roads; while dogs, horses, yarding sticks and rattlers were used to move the stock along.
- A circle of wire, through which are threaded six pierced tin can lids and a larger pierced lid. A piece of red rubber hosepipe is also threaded onto the wire to form a hand-grip.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from State Government of Victoria Major Projects Unit, 1990
|Dimensions:||19.00 cm (Height), 8.00 cm (Width), 25.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||working life, rural industry, rural victoria, livestock sale yards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Stock Route at the Newmarket Saleyards, Stock Management at the Newmarket Saleyards, Drovers at the Newmarket Saleyards, Joe Raymer's Memories of Droving at the Newmarket Saleyards, 1940-1963, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Glossary of the Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Livestock Markets|
|Tertiary Classification:||animal husbandry equipment|
|Organisation Named:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, pre 1987|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Stock Route at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Stock Management at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Drovers at the Newmarket Saleyards
- Joe Raymer's Memories of Droving at the Newmarket Saleyards, 1940-1963
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Glossary of the Newmarket Saleyards
- Newmarket Collection