Search the collections
Revolver - Uberti Colt 1873 Single Action Army Reg. No: SH 980474
- Uberti Colt 1873 Single Action Army (SAA) or Cattleman centrefire revolver, cal. .44-40 in., rifled round nickel plated steel barrel 16 mm (5 1/2 in) long with R.H.side mounted ejector. S
Made by A. Uberti Srl, Italy. Serial number 50295.
This particular example was used by Holden Brothers Circus, and used by the circus from the 1970s onwards.
- Six chambered cylinder with standard length flutes, solid nickel plated steel frame, back strap and triggergaurd, two-piece wooden grips, bladed front sight, loading gate on R.H.side. The Uberti monogram is stamped into the backstrap at the butt.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This Colt 1873 Single Action Army is a copy made by the well-known Italian firearm manufacturer of replica firearms, A. Uberti, Srl. The company was founded in 1959 by Aldo Uberti. The company's first replicas, and still arguably one of their mainstays, are western era firearms. Like the Ruger single action revolvers, Uberti realised a market for frontier-influenced revolvers in the mid-late 1950s, following the advent of TV and the inceasing popularity of Western genre films.
This revolver was used by the well-known Australian 20th century Circus - Holden Brothers Circus. It is one of several firearms donated by Barry Holden, one of the two brothers involved with the Circus. The Holden Brothers Circus was formed in Melbourne in 1892, passing through three generations of Holden family. An archive was donated to the Performing Arts Collection of the Victorian Arts Centre.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Barry Holden, 1998
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 16.50cm (5 1/2 in.)|
|Tagged with:||amusements, circuses, entertainment, itinerant workers, dumb dum|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel top: A. UBERTI & C. GARDONE V.T. ITALY
Stamped on barrel L.H.side: S.A. CAL. 44-40
Stamped on butt with Uberti monogram
Stamped on frame and barrel underside with Uberti proofmarks.
Serial No. -
Frame: 50295; Barrel: 50295
|Model Name/Number:||1873 Single Action Army (SAA) (Cattleman)|
|Manufacturer:||A. Uberti Srl, Gardone val Trompia, Italy|
|User:||Holden Brothers Circus, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1970s-1980s|