Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer Richmond, Australia
Blizzard Mask - Black Flannel, circa 1952-1958 Reg. No: SH 890864
- Alternative Name(s): Face Mask
Black flannel blizzard mask, made circa 1952-1958 for use in the Antarctic. Masks of this sort were known to ANARE (Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions) personnel as 'blizzard masks'. Found in large downstairs storeroom at Simpson's Glove Factory.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
- Face mask made from black flannel, fully lined with white flannel.Tapes attached to top corners for fitting to head. Throat buttons closed with adjustable fittings. Flap over mouth opening; fastens at right with metal press stud.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||26.00 cm (Height), 37.00 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||antarctic exploration, trades, protective clothing safety wear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Antarctica Collection, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Manufacturer:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1952-1958
This item is part of the following themes:
- Antarctica Collection
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory