Search the collections
Dress - Prue Acton, Evening, Metallic Gold Silk, 1988 Reg. No: SH 942054
- This dress was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1988. It was worn by the donor to the Australian Bicentenary Wool Collection fashion parade, held at the Sydney Opera House, on 31st January, 1988, and attended by the Princess of Wales. Prue was photographed in several articles about the event, including `Wool on Parade' (New Idea magazine, 20th February, 1988) and `And Di Steals the Show Again' (Woman's Day magazine 15th February, 1988.) The removable sleeves were not worn to this event, but she did carry a metal cat handbag (SH 942019) and wore a pair of Yves Saint Laurent shoes (SH 942053.)
According to the donor, it was part of theme developed around her 1988 Melbourne Cup outfit, 'Scrunch and Drape' - fabric used to create form and texture.
- This outfit consists of a gold silk dress, overskirt and removable sleeves:
(1) Metallic gold rippled silk evening dress with generous off-the shoulder ruffled neckline. The dress is sleeveless and has diagonal rouched pleating across the bodice and thin piping at waistline. The dress is knee length and fastened at the back with a zip from neckline to lower back. The lining is black viscose acetate.
(2) Overskirt to match evening dress is semi-circular and split at the front to reveal front of dress and the wearer's legs. The back is full length. The waistband is piped and ruffled rosettes disguise two metal hook fasteners at front. The lining is camel coloured stiffened organza.
(3) & (4) Two fitted sleeves elaticised at top, matching dress and overskirt.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimensions:||120.00 cm (Height)|
|Tagged with:||australian bicentenary 1788-1988, celebrations, clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, women s clothing, making history - prue acton|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Label inside back collar of dress: Prue Acton
Labels attached inside neckline upper right: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1988|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1988|
|User:||Ms Prue Acton, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1988 or later|