Search the collections
Ensemble - Prue Acton, `Coastal Waters', Handpainted Silk, 1975 Reg. No: SH 942026
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1975, from fabric handpainted by Rae Ganim. It is a one-off garment, and was exhibited at the National Gallery of Victoria at the opening of the exhibition `Arts Victoria 1975' as part of a `Living Canvas' presentation (they were worn by living models.) Selected fashion designers were asked to present examples of their fashion philosophy for 1975 to complement the opening of the Schofield Collection of Costumes 1760-1939, which has recently been acquired by the Gallery. It is photographed being worn in an article on the presentation in the Age Newspaper, dated 25th March, 1975.
- This layered outfit consists of a silk robe, three silk tops, a silk collar and a silk scarf:
(1) Full length short sleeved silk robe in muted shades of green, blue and brown. Printed and handpainted seascape images by Rae Ganim surround the lower part of the robe. The front fastens with two thin tapes.
(2) Flowing multi-layered sleeveless silk top in differing lengths, handerchief style. Handpainted in blues.
(3 & 4) Skimpy sleeveless silk top with hole for neck hanging to a 'V' at front. Handpainted in green and brown. Press stud fastens at back.
(5) Square silk collar handpainted in blue, white and beige.'Prue Acton' painted on front. Drapes to hand in a 'V' at front and back.
(6) Rectangular silk scarf in muted green with handpainted designs in white and darker green. The scarf tapers to pointed ends. 'Prue Acton' painted on front. Drape to hang in a 'V' at front and back.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimensions:||150.00 cm (Height)|
|Tagged with:||art exhibitions, clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, women s clothing, making history - prue acton|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria|
|Artist:||Ms Rae Ganim, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 1975|
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1975|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1975|
|Exhibitor:||National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1975|