Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used Melbourne, Australia
Fork - Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, circa 1988 Reg. No: SH 960139
- This stainless steel dining fork is part of the furnishing and equipment used at Florentino Restaurant in Bourke Street Melbourne, during the time of Branco Tocigl's ownership from 1979-1989.
Florentino's opened during the 1920s under the ownership of Polish migrant Samuel Wynn and management of Rinaldo Massoni who had migrated from Italy in 1911. Originally Cafe Denat in Exhibition Street, the new owners moved it to Exhibition Street and changed the name to Cafe Florentino. Under Massoni's management (he purchased the lease from Wynn in 1929), the cafe flourished and expanded into the neighbouring Edments gift store in 1935. Massoni died suddenly in 1941 and the restaurant has had a series of owners ever since, but has always remained in its 1935 location.
- A dining fork with 4 prongs and imprint patten raised on front of handle also on sides at the end of the handle. On the centre back starting 41mm from the end the inscription words are engraved. The front has a raised patten around the end of the handlewhere it widens out.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Branca, 1996
|Dimensions:||195 mm (Height), 26 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, immigration, italian communities, italian immigration, cutlery, restaurants|
|Themes this item is part of:||Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Migration Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, by 1988|
|References:||The following related photographs are held by the Italian Historical Society: P-01595; P-06544.|