Search the collections
Pepper Shaker - Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, circa 1988 Reg. No: SH 960144
- This silver plated pepper shaker is part of the furnishing and equipment used at Florentino Restaurant in Bourke Street Melbourne, during the time of Branco Tocigl's ownership from 1979-1989.
Florentino's opened during the 1920s under the ownership of Polish migrant Samuel Wynn and management of Rinaldo Massoni who had migrated from Italy in 1911. Originally Cafe Denat in Exhibition Street, the new owners moved it to Exhibition Street and changed the name to Cafe Florentino. Under Massoni's management (he purchased the lease from Wynn in 1929), the cafe flourished and expanded into the neighbouring Edments gift store in 1935. Massoni died suddenly in 1941 and the restaurant has had a series of owners ever since, but has always remained in its 1935 location.
- The silver plated pepper shaker has a long neck with a bulbous body, flaring out to form a narrow base; access to fill the shaker is obtained by removing the screw top which is perforated by small holes. The name is inscribed on the side of the main body.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Florentino Restaurant represents one of the longest continuously operating restaurants in Melbourne, indeed it is recognised as a Melbourne 'institution.' Documenting its history enables not just the representation of a significant local business in the collection, but also the telling of broader stories about the significance of migrant community ties in establishing and maintaining businesses over time; and the role of migrant communities in participating in the cultural evolution of Melbourne through its food, wine and coffee cultures.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Branco Tocigl, 1996
|Dimensions:||908 mm (Height), 160.5 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, immigration, italian communities, italian immigration, restaurants, salt pepper shakers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Inscriptions:||Text: Florentino. Reverse: PARAMOUNT/PLATE/BEST QUALITY/EP NS A1/ WARRANTED/HAND SOLDERED/K G LUKE MELB|
|Manufacturer:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, by 1988
Made: K.G. Luke, Melbourne, circa - 1988
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, by 1988|
|References:||The following related photographs are held by the Italian Historical Society: P-01595; P-06544.|