Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used Melbourne, Australia
Plate - Bread and Butter, Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, circa 1988 Reg. No: SH 960137
- This white china bread and butter plate is part of the furnishing and equipment used at Florentino Restaurant in Bourke Street Melbourne, during the time of Branco Tocigl's ownership from 1979-1989.
Florentino's opened during the 1920s under the ownership of Polish migrant Samuel Wynn and management of Rinaldo Massoni who had migrated from Italy in 1911. Originally Cafe Denat in Exhibition Street, the new owners moved it to Exhibition Street and changed the name to Cafe Florentino. Under Massoni's management (he purchased the lease from Wynn in 1929), the cafe flourished and expanded into the neighbouring Edments gift store in 1935. Massoni died suddenly in 1941 and the restaurant has had a series of owners ever since, but has always remained in its 1935 location.
- The plate is of heavy, white china with a narrow gold border, surmounted by a small gold crest and identified by the name Firenze beneath. The reverse has the name of the manufacturer with a small crown above it.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Branca, 1996
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, immigration, italian communities, italian immigration, crockery, plates, restaurants|
|Themes this item is part of:||Florentino Restaurant, Melbourne, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Migration Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Inscriptions:||FIRENZE. Reverse: Richard/Ginori/0-C/Italy|
|Manufacturer:||Italy, by 1988
Made: Richard Ginori, Italy, circa - 1988
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, by 1988|
|References:||The following related photographs are held by the Italian Historical Society: P-01595; P-06544.|