Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used South Yarra, Australia
Banner - 'Methodist Babies' & Children's Home', circa 1929 Reg. No: SH 891624
- Banner made of white stiffened linen with painted red and blue lettering 'Methodist Babies' & Children's Home'. Used around 1929. Holes in top corners suggest it was pinned, perhaps to a table at a street stall; there is no evidence to show that it was ever hung or supported by all four corners.
The Methodist Babies Home was opened in 1929. Babies, especially from the inner-city slums, were referred to the home through the Children's Court. From 1929 until the early 1970s the Home's role was to care for babies awaiting adoption. From 1974, the direct care of neglected babies was phased out in favour of family-unit-based support services.
- Banner made of white stiffened linen with painted red and blue lettering. Holes in top corners indicate that it may have been pinned.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Copelen Street Family Services, 1989
|Dimensions:||43.00 cm (Height), 180.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||charities, infant welfare|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Methodist Babies Home, South Yarra, 1929-1970|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS|
|Secondary Classification:||Children's Homes|
|Inscriptions:||Painted text: 'METHODIST/BABIES' & CHILDREN'S/HOMES'.|
|Place & Date Used:||Methodist Babies Home, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 1929 or later|