Search the collections
Leaflet - Carnival Bocskai Hungarian Centre, Black Cat Cafe, Fitzroy, 26 Nov 2000 Reg. No: HT 177
- Pink leaflet advertising a carnival at the Bocskai Hungarian Centre on 26 November 2000. Leaflet was once pinned on the public noticeboard at the Black Cat Cafe in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. The cafe closed in February, 2001.
This item is an example of the diversity of items that were once displayed on the cafe's noticeboard.
- Pink paper leaflet with black printed text featuring decorated christmas tree, stars and ribboning.
- Statement Of Significance:
- In recent years the Museum has collected, whenever possible, objects relating to the rapid development, since the 1950's, of Melbourne as a `Cafe Society'. Just as the Legend Cafe was one of the pioneer cafes of the 1950's, the Black Cat's opening in May 1982 signalled the shift towards a new type of cafe that catered for a young, arty, alternative set. From the start, it maintained an almost symbiotic relationship with the nearby Roar Studios, a group of studios and associated art gallery that has produced painters such as David Larwill. The Black Cat Cafe has been a significant contributor to the social, cultural and demographic changes that have made Brunswick Street into what it is today. This point has been made in various newspaper articles written about the Black Cat Cafe since it was announced that it was to close in 2001.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Henry Maas - The Black Cat Cafe, 2001
|Dimensions:||29.50 cm (Height), 0.10 cm (Width), 21.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, caf s, hungarian communities, decorative arts, brunswick street culture, caf culture|
|Themes this item is part of:||Black Cat Cafe Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Tertiary Classification:||wall notices - events|
|Inscriptions:||Printed text in black ink reads: "26th Nov. Sund. 12-4pm / CARNIVAL / BOCSKAI HUNGARIAN CENTRE / 123 St. Georges Rd. Nth. Fitzroy / (opposite Edinburgh Gardens) / live entertainment..."
Further text follows.
|Place & Date Made:||The Black Cat Café, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Nov 2000|
|Place Used:||The Black Cat Café, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, 2000|
|Place Named:||Bocskai Hungarian Centre, Fitzroy North, Victoria, Australia, 2000|