Search the collections
Leaflet - For Sale Toyota Hiace Van, Black Cat Cafe, Fitzroy, 2000-2001 Reg. No: HT 275
- Leaflet advertising a van for sale that was once pinned on the public noticeboard at the Black Cat Cafe in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy. The cafe closed in February, 2001. This item is an example of the diversity of items that were once displayed on the cafe's noticeboard.
- Yellow paper advertisement for sale of Toyota Hiace Van with printed photographic image of van, details and price.
- Statement Of Significance:
- In recent years the Museum has collected, whenever possible, objects relating to the rapid development, since the 1950's, of Melbourne as a `Cafe Society'. Just as the Legend Cafe was one of the pioneer cafes of the 1950's, the Black Cat's opening in May 1982 signalled the shift towards a new type of cafe that catered for a young, arty, alternative set. From the start, it maintained an almost symbiotic relationship with the nearby Roar Studios, a group of studios and associated art gallery that has produced painters such as David Larwill. The Black Cat Cafe has been a significant contributor to the social, cultural and demographic changes that have made Brunswick Street into what it is today. This point has been made in various newspaper articles written about the Black Cat Cafe since it was announced that it was to close in 2001.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Henry Maas - The Black Cat Cafe, 2001
|Dimensions:||29.50 cm (Height), 0.10 cm (Width), 21.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, caf s, decorative arts, brunswick street culture, caf culture, camping trailers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Black Cat Cafe Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Tertiary Classification:||wall notices - community life|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in black: "30th Oct 2000 / FOR SALE /TOYOTA HIACE VAN / 1986 / RCW / REG UNTIL MARCH 2001 / 5 SPEED / STEREO / ROOF RACKS / DOUBLE BED BUILT IN - STORAGE UNDERNEATH..."
Further text follows.
|Place & Date Used:||The Black Cat Café, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, 2000-2001|
|Date Written:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 30 Oct 2000|