Search the collections
Menu - Black Cat Cafe, Beverages, Fitzroy, pre 2001 Reg. No: HT 127
- Handmade beverage menu used at the Black Cat Cafe in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, until it closed in February, 2001.
- Beverage menu made from a paper sheet with affixed sections of paper bearing typewritten text. Handwritten heading in black ink and newspaper clipping affixed to centre features a cat standing with a hula hoop around its middle.
- Statement Of Significance:
- In recent years the Museum has collected, whenever possible, objects relating to the rapid development, since the 1950's, of Melbourne as a `Cafe Society'. Just as the Legend Cafe was one of the pioneer cafes of the 1950's, the Black Cat's opening in May 1982 signalled the shift towards a new type of cafe that catered for a young, arty, alternative set. From the start, it maintained an almost symbiotic relationship with the nearby Roar Studios, a group of studios and associated art gallery that has produced painters such as David Larwill. The Black Cat Cafe has been a significant contributor to the social, cultural and demographic changes that have made Brunswick Street into what it is today. This point has been made in various newspaper articles written about the Black Cat Cafe since it was announced that it was to close in 2001.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Henry Maas - The Black Cat Cafe, 2001
|Dimensions:||30.00 cm (Height), 0.01 cm (Width), 24.20 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, caf s, menus, decorative arts, brunswick street culture, caf culture|
|Themes this item is part of:||Black Cat Cafe Collection, Cafe Culture, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Tertiary Classification:||commercial art & design|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten text reads: "of the BLACK CAT."
Typewritten text reads: "cappuccino / esspresso / long black / cafe latte / macciato / vienna"
Extensive text follows.
|Format:||Graphic Design: Black & White|
|Place & Date Made:||The Black Cat Café, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, pre 2001|
|Place Used:||The Black Cat Café, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, pre 2001|