Search the collections
Figurine - Black Cat, Large, Black Cat Cafe, Fitzroy, 2000 Reg. No: HT 108
- Black ceramic cat figurine (large size) once displayed at the Black Cat Cafe in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, until it closed in February, 2001. One in a set of three cats that vary in size.
- Standing black cat figurine. Ceramic with high gloss surface and green painted eyes. Green felt on base has stamped text.
- Statement Of Significance:
- In recent years the Museum has collected, whenever possible, objects relating to the rapid development, since the 1950's, of Melbourne as a `Cafe Society'. Just as the Legend Cafe was one of the pioneer cafes of the 1950's, the Black Cat's opening in May 1982 signalled the shift towards a new type of cafe that catered for a young, arty, alternative set. From the start, it maintained an almost symbiotic relationship with the nearby Roar Studios, a group of studios and associated art gallery that has produced painters such as David Larwill. The Black Cat Cafe has been a significant contributor to the social, cultural and demographic changes that have made Brunswick Street into what it is today. This point has been made in various newspaper articles written about the Black Cat Cafe since it was announced that it was to close in 2001.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Henry Maas - The Black Cat Cafe, 2001
|Dimensions:||29.00 cm (Height), 10.00 cm (Width), 12.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, cats, caf s, decorative arts, brunswick street culture, caf culture|
|Themes this item is part of:||Black Cat Cafe Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Inscriptions:||Black stamped text on felt base reads: "MADE IN TAIWAN"|
|Place & Date Manufactured:||Taiwan (Republic of China), pre 2000|
|Place & Date Used:||The Black Cat Café, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, 2000-2001|