Search the collections
Cup - White with Red & Gold Band, Black Cat Cafe, Fitzroy, pre 2001 Reg. No: HT 118
- White cup with a red and gold band once used at the Black Cat Cafe in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, until it closed in February, 2001.
- White china cup with painted red and gold band around rim.
- Statement Of Significance:
- In recent years the Museum has collected, whenever possible, objects relating to the rapid development, since the 1950's, of Melbourne as a `Cafe Society'. Just as the Legend Cafe was one of the pioneer cafes of the 1950's, the Black Cat's opening in May 1982 signalled the shift towards a new type of cafe that catered for a young, arty, alternative set. From the start, it maintained an almost symbiotic relationship with the nearby Roar Studios, a group of studios and associated art gallery that has produced painters such as David Larwill. The Black Cat Cafe has been a significant contributor to the social, cultural and demographic changes that have made Brunswick Street into what it is today. This point has been made in various newspaper articles written about the Black Cat Cafe since it was announced that it was to close in 2001.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Henry Maas - The Black Cat Cafe, 2001
|Dimensions:||7.20 cm (Height), 8.90 cm (Width), 11.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||food drink consumption, cups, caf s, decorative arts, brunswick street culture, caf culture|
|Themes this item is part of:||Black Cat Cafe Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Café & Pub Culture|
|Place & Date Used:||The Black Cat Café, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia, pre 2000|
|Place Manufactured:||China, pre 2000|