Search the collections
Trophy - Melbourne Hungaria Soccer Club, Tilbury & Lewis, 1966 Reg. No: SH 000095
- Melbourne Hungaria Soccer Club trophy made by Tilbury & Lewis Pty Ltd, 1966. This trophy was given to the Committee of the Club by the 1966 players. The Melbourne Hungaria Soccer Club, also known as the Melbourne Soccer Club, was formed in 1957 by Hungarian migrants, this included members of the Hungarian Olympic soccer team who had defected and remained in Australia following the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. During the 1960s and 1970s it was one of the strongest football clubs in Australia, winning the Victorian State League championship and the Australian Cup in 1967. The club closed in 1987. It's most notable player was former Socceroo Attila Abonyi, who migrated from Hungary with his parents and brother in 1957 under the Hungarian Refugee Assistance Scheme.
- Large soccer trophy consisting of a long tapered metal urn, pointed metal lid and plastic base. The urn has two long handles and the lid has an inverted cone shaped handle, while both have ridged embellishments on them. The base has concave patterns along the sides and is curved along the bottom. The metal has been covered with a silver coating, and is engraved on the front of the urn.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Joseph Abonyi, 2000
|Dimensions:||15.00 cm (Width), 52.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||sport, soccer, trophies, hungarian communities, hungarian immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Leisure Collection, Migration Collection|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Ethnicity - Organisations|
|Tertiary Classification:||sports awards|
|Inscriptions:||Engraved: TO THE/COMMITTEE/MELBOURNE-HUNGARIA/S.C./ SINCERE REGARDS/from/THE PLAYERS/1966|
|Manufacturer:||Tilbury & Lewis Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1966|
|User:||Melbourne Soccer Club, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1966
Given to the Committee of the Club by players