Search the collections
Similar items over time
Hat Block - Wood, circa 1920s Reg. No: SH 890913
- Large wooden hat block used in the manufacture (moulding) of leather flying helmets and driving hats at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1920s-1940s.
Made from Australian cedar by Robert Godfrey Pty Ltd, Melbourne, circa 1920s.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||28.50 cm (Height), 28.00 cm (Width), 58.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||hat blocks|
|Inscriptions:||Text: ROBERT GODFREY/PTY.LTD./MELBOURNE/67/8|
|Maker:||Robert Godfrey Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1920s|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1920s-1940s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory