Search the collections
Stereograph - Federation Celebrations, Bridge Street, Ballarat, Victoria, 1901 Reg. No: SH 960846
- Photographer: George Rose, Melbourne.
Two almost identical sepia stereographic views mounted on thick brown card. The images depict the street decorations in Bridge Street, Ballarat, in honour of the Royal Visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York on 13 May 1901. While in Ballarat, the Royal party also visited the South Star Gold Mine.
The opening of the Australian Parliament was an occasion for great celebrations in Victoria. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city of Melbourne was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo, several street parades and a visit to Ballarat where similar decorations were put up to mark the occasion.
- Description Of Content:
- Street decorations in Bridge Street, Ballarat, in honour of the Royal Visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York on 13 May 1901. Bunting is hung across the street forming a semi-canopy. Lanterns are strung from the bunting. A large crowd is visible in the street, all walking away from the camera.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from (Estate of) Gertrude Parr, 1993
|Dimensions:||10.20 cm (Height), 17.80 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||australian federation 1901, celebrations, civic mementoes, royal visits, souvenirs|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||Text: 2948 Duke of York Celebrations, Ballaarat/ The Decorations in Bridge Street.; ROSE'S STEREOSCOPIC VIEWS/ COPYRIGHT.; Sold only by/ GEORGE ROSE/ PUBLISHER/ Melbourne.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, 1901|
|Publisher:||George Rose, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1901|