Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Made Melbourne, Australia
Similar items over time
Button Spinner - Cardboard, 1989 Reg. No: SH 990090
- Alternative Name(s): Buzzer
Made at the Children's Museum's 'You're IT!' exhibition held in Melbourne in 1989.
The Australian Children's Folklore Collection is unique in Australia, documenting contemporary children's folklore across Australia and in other countries reaching back to the 1870s. The Collection has a strong component of research material relating to Victoria.
Throughout the world, and particularly in developing countries, children play with toys and other playthings which have been homemade, by themselves or adults, for their amusement. They are often made from easily obtained materials like pieces of wood, wire or cloth, or recycled packaging materials. This button spinner is an example of a simple home-made plaything made from materials found around the home. It is entertaining and demonstrates imaginative use of materials.
- Circular piece of yellow cardboard with a spiral drawn in orange texta on each side. A hole has been punched in the centre and a looped piece of coarse string is threaded through the card. Holding one end of the looped string in each hand suspends the cardboard in the centre. The button spinner is operated by rotating the string in a circle until it twists and then gently moving the hands in and out. The button spins and moves up and down on the string. Acknowledgement: Australian Children's Folklore Collection, Museum Victoria.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Dr June Factor, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||7.20 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Dimensions are for the cardboard circle only|
|Tagged with:||children s play, handcrafts, making do, toys, games, game piece, making history - australian childrens folklore|
|Themes this item is part of:||Australian Children's Folklore Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Primary Classification:||GAMES & TOYS|
|Secondary Classification:||Action Games|
|Place & Date Made:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1989|