Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Made Chicago, United States
Jacks - Chemtoy Corporation, Metal Reg. No: SH 990051
- Alternative Name(s): American Jacks, Jax
Fifteen metal jacks in a green plastic carrying case. Each jack has six spikes, four of which have rounded ends like little balls.
Jacks is an ancient game, dating back to prehistoric times. The first jacks were natural materials - animal bones, stones, seeds and shells, and when the game became a popular part of children's culture, manufacturers began mass-producing them from plastic and metal. In Australia, jacks are mostly shaped like sheep's knucklebones, but overseas there are also ceramic cubes and 'star'-shaped metal pieces. These stones are an example of the natural materials used by children to play jacks in the United States in the early 20th century.
Part of the Australian Children's Folklore Collection (ACFC). The ACFC is unique in Australia, documenting contemporary children's folklore across Australia and in other countries reaching back to the 1870s. The Collection has a strong component of research material relating to Victoria.
- Fifteen metal jacks in a green plastic carrying case. Each jack has six spikes, four of which have rounded ends like little balls. Three jacks are uncoloured, seven are metallic red, four metallic green, one metallic blue. Case is moulded plastic, with a thin plastic hinge. Inside case is divided into two compartments. In original packaging - a printed card with moulded transparent plastic cover. Packaging has been opened down one side, and print torn off the card. Two balls and one jack are missing. Card is blue, with printed lettering identifying manufacturer, contents and recommended ages. There is a price sticker at top left of card with Woolworths $1.29 printed on the surface. Card has instructions for playing the game on the back.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Dr June Factor, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||19.00 cm (Height), 4.00 cm (Width), 14.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||children s folklore, children s play, games, making history - australian childrens folklore, jaws|
|Themes this item is part of:||Australian Children's Folklore Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Primary Classification:||GAMES & TOYS|
|Secondary Classification:||Action Games|
|Inscriptions:||Moulded inside case: Chemtoy P.N. 0232-1010 CAV.-4, On front of card: Chemtoy Wonder, Ages 3+, No. 238, twin jax set with carrying case, From the maker of Tootsie Toy cars and trucks, Contents: 16 jax, 2 balls, 1 jax case, Made in U.S.A., Balls made in Taiwan, 1979 mfg by Chemtoy Corporation Chicago, Il 60624; On back of card: Instructions for playing the game.|
|Place & Date Made:||Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, 1979 or later|