Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used Melbourne, Australia
Similar items over time
Banner - A World of Games, 1997 Reg. No: SH 990328
- Alternative Name(s): Games Panel
Calico banner, coloured, with hand-drawn graphics and text, depicting the games of marbles, up ball and knucklebones.
This banner, and SH 99.329 and SH 99.330, were made for the 'World of Games' exhibition, held by Springvale Historical Society in 1997. The banner artists were Adam Duster, Hugh Rabinovici, James Gabo, Simon Eales.
The Australian Children's Folklore Collection is unique in Australia, documenting contemporary children's folklore across Australia and in other countries reaching back to the 1870s. The Collection has a strong component of research material relating to Victoria.
- Calico banner, coloured, hand drawn graphics and text, depicting the games of marbles, up ball and knucklebones. Each of the illustrations is drawn within a circular border, one beneath the other. In the top illustration, marbles are scattered on grass with a hand coming down and dropping a tombowler. In the centre, two boys are shown from the back, playing up ball. In the bottom illustration, one hand is shown catching knucklebones on the back of the hand and the other is throwing the knucklebones into the air. There is a piece of dowel at the top and the bottom, for hanging the banner. Acknowledgement: Australian Children's Folklore Collection, Museum Victoria.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Dr June Factor, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||165.00 cm (Height), 62.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||children s play, exhibitions, games, handmade games toys, publicity material|
|Themes this item is part of:||Australian Children's Folklore Collection, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||GAMES & TOYS|
|Secondary Classification:||Action Games|
|Inscriptions:||Text: A WORLD OF GAMES/MARBLES/UP BALL/KNUCKLEBONES/PLAYGROUND GAMES/Adam Ouster Hugh Rabinovici James Gabo Simon Eales 19/8/97.|
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1997|