Certificate - Royal Children's Hospital, Framed, 1961 Reg. No: SH 940573
- Certificate awarded to Ernesto Angerame in 1961 for his fundraising efforts for the Royal Melbourne Children's Hospital, from his barber's shop at 330 Lygon Street, Carlton.
Ernesto Angerame was born in 1920 in Viggiano, in the region of Basilicata, Italy. He migrated reluctantly to Melbourne in 1937, having replaced his brother who had changed his mind. He learned the barber trade during his sea voyage and completed his apprenticeship upon arrival. In 1942, Ernesto was conscripted as an enemy alien into the Civilian Army Corps and released in 1945. In 1949 he opened his own barber's shop in Lygon Street Carlton (known as the Sportsmen's Saloon from the early 1950s) which he ran until he retired in 1984. He cut the hair of numerous local and visiting sportsmen, and was official barber to the Carlton Football Club. His shop also sold tobacconist and hair care products and traditional Italian playing cards.
- Certificate in plain wooden frame, white paper with red and black type in mix of cursive and plain print, handwritten and typewriter styles. Royal Children's Hospital insignia at centre top with red cross.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Angerame Italian Barber collection offers valuable insights into the working life of an Italian migrant small business owner from the 1950s in Carlton - a traditional heart of Italian culture in Melbourne. The collection enables the exploration of particularly gendered practices of grooming and the associated male socialising and cultural exchanges, as well as the migrant processes of working and settling into a particular cultural, as well as in this case, the broader community.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Ernesto Angerame, 1994
|Dimensions:||32.00 cm (Height), 2.00 cm (Width), 24.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||hairdressing, hairdressing industry, hospitals, italian communities, italian immigration, trades|
|Themes this item is part of:||Ernesto Angerame, Italian Migrant & Barber, 1937, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Migration Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Clinical Medicine - Administration|
|Inscriptions:||Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne/Patron Her Majesty the Queen/This is to Certify that Mr Ernesto Angerame/is an/ Honorary Life Governor/of Royal Children's Hospital/26 January 1961.
Signatures by President Lady Murdoch and Manager.
|Awarded To:||Mr Ernesto Angerame, Carlton, Victoria, Australia|