Search the collections
Postcard - Southern Facade, Exhibition Building, Harding & Billing, Melbourne, circa 1910 Reg. No: SH 960521
- This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade, lake and dome from the south east circa 1910. The postcard, which is unused, was made by Harding & Billing, Sydney & Auckland.
The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.
- A black & white postcard with a photograph of the Exhibition Building in the centre, surrounded by a white border and a decorative border outside this. The outside border is grey and decorative. View of the Exhibition Building is from the south east, showing trees and the lake in the foreground. On the reverse, in the centre, are the initials HB on an artist's palette encircled by a laurel wreath. This is the trademark of Harding & Billing and this version was used from approximately 1904. There is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 1991
|Dimensions:||87 mm (Height), 139 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, civic mementoes, exterior views, royal exhibition building, souvenirs, postcards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Tertiary Classification:||souvenir postcards|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse, text: Exhibition Building. Melbourne.
Reverse, text: POST CARD; H&B
|Publisher:||Harding & Billing, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, circa 1910
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1910|