Postcard - Southern Facade & Hochgurtel Fountain, Exhibition Building, VSM Series, Melbourne, circa 1906 Reg. No: SH 960610
- This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade & Hochgurtel Fountain, circa 1906. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Prussia as part of the Victoria Stamp Market (VSM) Series.
The Exhibition Building and fountain were built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. The fountain was designed by Josef Hochgurtel, a young German artist from Cologne. It is Hochgurtel's only known piece of work in Australia.
- A colour tinted photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west corner of the building and the Hochgurtel Fountain. The postcard is tinted green, cream and blue with the sky tinted yellow. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 1991
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||civic mementoes, exterior views, royal exhibition building, souvenirs, buildings, postcards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Tertiary Classification:||souvenir postcards|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse, text: Melbourne; The Fountain, Exhibition Gardens
Reverse, text: POST CARD; Printed in/ Prussia; This space may be used for Correspondence./ Postage to any Address in Victoria, 1 d.;/ to other States, 1 1/2 d.; V.S.M.
|Publisher:||Victoria Stamp Market, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1906
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.
|Place Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB)|
|References:||See Cook, David. 'Picture Postcards in Australia 1898-1920'. pp154- 155.|