Search the collections
Postcard - South West Facade, Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1904 Reg. No: SH 960663
- This is a colour tinted postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade with gardens and an unmade pathway in the foreground, 1904. The postcard was sent to Misses Rucker, 2 Broughton Villas, Oclan Street, Woollahra, Sydney, New South Wales, and is postmarked 9 November 1904.
The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.
- A green & grey tinted photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building with an unmade pathway and gardens in the foreground. There is a wide, white border at the left of the photograph with a handwritten inscription in black ink. In the upper right hand corner there is a black postmark. On the reverse of the postcard, there is a handwritten address in black ink and a one penny Victorian postage stamp.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 1991
|Dimensions:||85 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, civic mementoes, correspondence, exterior views, royal exhibition building, souvenirs, postcards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Tertiary Classification:||souvenir postcards|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse, text: Exhibition Building, Melbourne, Victoria.
Obverse, handwritten: Nov. 8th 1904./ Are starting off/ again today. Much love to you/ all from Elizabeth & Hardy
Obverse, postmarked: EDGECLIFFE/ NO 9/ 1904/ N.S.W.
Reverse, text: POST CARD.; THE ADDRESS ONLY TO BE WRITTEN ON THIS SIDE.
Reverse, handwritten: The Misses Rucker/ 2 Broughton Villas/ Oclan Street/ Woollahra/ Sydney/ New South Wales
Reverse, postmarked: MELBOURNE/ NO 8/ 1904
|Place & Date Made:||Australia, 1904-1905
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1904|
|Addressed To:||Misses Rucker, Woollahra, New South Wales, Australia, 1904|
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1904|