Search the collections
Postcard - Southern Facade, Exhibition Building, Wannenmacher, Melbourne, circa 1898 Reg. No: SH 960670
- This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade with trees and the lake in the foreground, circa 1898. The postcard, made by Wannenmacher, 121 Spring St, Melbourne, was sent to Frau Hermine Sanojca in Korneuburg, Austria and is dated 12 December 1898.
- A black & white photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building occupies the top half of the portrait-oriented postcard. The bottom half contains an extensive handwritten inscription in German in black ink. On the reverse of the postcard there is a handwritten address in black ink. In the upper right hand corner there is a green halfpence postage stamp.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 1991
|Dimensions:||90 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||buildings, civic mementoes, correspondence, exterior views, royal exhibition building, souvenirs, postcards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Tertiary Classification:||souvenir postcards|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse, text: EXHIBITION BUILDING, MELBOURNE.; WANNENMACHER./ 121 Spring St., Melbourne.
Obverse, handwritten: [Inscription in German]
Reverse, text: POST CARD./ This card may pass through the Post without additional postage to any of/ the following Colonies, namely: - New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland,/ Tasmania, Western Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji.; To; ADDRESS ONLY THIS SIDE.
Reverse, handwritten: Hochwalgeboun/ Frau Hermine Sanojca/ R. R. Hystm.'s (?) Gattin/ Korneuburg/ Austria
Reverse, postmarked: MELBOURNE/ 60/ DE 14/ 98
|Publisher:||Wannenmacher, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1898|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1898|
|Addressed To:||Hermine Sanojca, Korneuburg, Austria, 1898|