Search the collections
Postcard - South West Facade, Exhibition Building, Wide Wide World Series, Melbourne, 1905 Reg. No: SH 960641
- This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade and people enjoying the Carlton Gardens in the foreground, 1905. The postcard, which was sent to Miss Lila C Cameron, Chatham, Ontario, Canada, was printed in England by Raphael Tuck & Sons as part of the Wide Wide World series 'Melbourne' (No. 7292). The card features an image by English artist AH Fullwood.
The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.
Series No. 7292 also contained images of Government House, the Houses of Parliament, Princes Bridge, The Melbourne Cup & the Yarra River.
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.
- A colour postcard from the Wide Wide World series published by Raphael Tuck & Sons, with a scene by AH Fullwood of the Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens. Taken from an oil painting in autumn colours, the building is shown from the Rathdowne Street side with lawn, gardens and a pathway in the foreground. There are many people, formally dressed, walking and sitting in the gardens. On the reverse of the postcard there is a coat of arms with a lion and unicorn in the upper left hand corner and Raphael Tuck & Sons' trademark in the right hand corner. Extensive text on the left hand side gives information about the Exhibition Building. There are two addresses in black ink. The stamp has been removed.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 1996
|Dimensions:||87 mm (Height), 138 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||civic mementoes, correspondence, royal exhibition building, souvenirs, buildings, postcards, beautiful building and post card it is...|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Exhibition Building Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROYAL EXHIBITION BUILDING|
|Tertiary Classification:||souvenir postcards|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse, text: A. H. Fullwood; THE EXHIBITION BUILDING/ MELBOURNE, Australia.
Reverse, text: TUCK'S POST CARD; CARTE POSTALE./ POSTKARTE./ MELBOURNE.-The Exhibition Building. Several im-/ portant international exhibition have been held here, but/ the most important gathering was the one where the present/ Prince of Wales opened the first Federal Parliament of/ Australia in 1901. The building is near the city on the/ Eastern Hill, and is situated in beautiful grounds which are/ the popular resort of many visitors.; WIDE WIDE WORLD SERIES-"MELBOURNE"; Raphael Tuck & Sons' "OILETTE" [Reg'd] Postcard 7292./ ART PUBLISHERS TO THEIR MAJESTIES THE KING & QUEEN; (FOR ADDRESS ONLY); Printed in England.
Reverse, handwritten: Mrs. Campbell Paterson/ 26 Epsom Road/ Kensington/ Melbourne/ Australia; Miss Lila C. Cameron/ Chatham/ Ontario/ Canada/ America
Reverse, postmarked: MELBOURNE/ JL 08/ 4.30A/ 1905
|Publisher:||Raphael Tuck & Sons, England, Great Britain, 1905
The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.
|Place & Date Depicted:||Royal Exhibition Building (REB), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1905|
|Artist:||A. Fullwood, England, Great Britain|
|Addressed To:||Miss Lila Cameron, Canada & United States of America, 1905|
|Sender:||Mrs Campbell Paterson, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1905|
|Place & Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1905|
|References:||Cook, David 'Picture Postcards in Australia 1898-1920' pp156-57;111- 12; 184-85.|