Glove Turner - 1920s Reg. No: SH 890915
- Glove turnerr used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, from circa 1920s. Used for turning fingers of gloves.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Oblong wooden base, Australian red gum, with metal upright turner attached to top.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||37.50 cm (Height), 20.50 cm (Width), 46.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life, -1|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||glove turners|
|Inscriptions:||Plate inscribed ".... machinery / size / Textile Engineers".|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1920s-1980s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory