Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Collector Melbourne, Australia
Similar items over time
Sculpture - Bull's Head, Bull & Mouth Hotel, 1851-1930s Reg. No: SH 930874
- Alternative Name(s): Architectural Decoration
Plaster bull's head from the Bull and Mouth Hotel in Bourke Street, Melbourne. The head was retrieved by Whelan the Wrecker during their demolition of the hotel in the 1930s.
The Bull and Mouth Hotel was built in 1851 by publican Matt Condon. Situated in central Bourke Street opposite the Cobb & Co coach office, the hotel became a Melbourne Institution, offering drinks and meals from breakfast until midnight. The plaster head probably was hung above the main bar.
- Large bulls head on oval shaped backboard. The bull has a brown painted collar with buckles on either side. The piece appears to have been restored as the horns are very shiny and the head seems to have been painted copper/gold.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Myles Whelan, 1992
|Dimensions:||990 mm (Height), 540 mm (Width), 435 mm (Length)|
|Themes this item is part of:||The Bull & Mouth Hotel, Bourke Street, Melbourne, Whelan the Wrecker Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Hotels & Accommodation|
|Place & Date Used:||Bull and Mouth Hotel, Victoria, Australia, 1851-1930s|
|Collector:||Whelan the Wrecker, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1930s|