Leather Embossing Machine - Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, circa 1930s Reg. No: SH 890961
- Leather embossing machine and steel patterns used to create patterns or designs on leather at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Richmond, Victoria, Pty Ltd, Richmond.
A heavy metal ring at the top was wound down to press the desired shape into leather. Gas jets provided heat to mould the shape or design. Some patterns were mock leather patterns such as "mock lizard", others were small animal or figure designs.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- .1 Machine frame .2 - .11, .20 Steel plate pattern .12 Pattern press plate .13 Two small bees .14 Elephant .15 Two Scottie dogs .16 Two small deer .18 Coach .17 Olympic runner with torch .19 Ballerina
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||57.00 cm (Height), 79.00 cm (Width), 42.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1930s-1980s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory