Search the collections
Sewing Machine - Singer, 1919 Reg. No: SH 890978
- Singer cylinder arm sewing machine, Model No. 17-16, Serial No. G 7474149, made in Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA in 1919.
Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond in the upstairs workroom.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Painted black with gold ornamentation on body.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||39.00 cm (Height), 46.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sewing machines, trades, working life, 29-4|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sewing machines|
|Inscriptions:||Model No. 17-16, Serial No. G 7474149. No. 49 painted in red paint on body.|
|Manufacturer:||Singer Manufacturing Co, New York, New York State, United States of America, 1919|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1928-1988|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory