Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Sewing Machine - Cup Seamer, Singer, 1917 Reg. No: SH 891024
- Sewing machine, cup seamer, made by Singer, Clydebank, Scotland, 1917.
Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond in the upstairs workroom. Cup seamers
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Black painted Singer sewing machine, gold lettering only.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||30.00 cm (Height), 18.00 cm (Width), 31.00 cm (Length)|
|Weight:||11.5 kg (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sewing machines, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sewing machines|
|Inscriptions:||Model No. 46K15, Serial No. F 7952322. "108" painted on machine housing.|
|Manufacturer:||Singer Manufacturing Company, Clydebank, West Dumbartonshire, Scotland, Great Britain, 1917|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1924-1988|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory