Search the collections
Sewing Machine - Singer, Straight Sewer, 1903 Reg. No: SH 890969
- Singer straight sticher or double sewer sewing machine, serial number K936552. Made at Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA, 1903.
Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond in the upstairs workroom.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Painted black with gold scroll work in various areas over machine. Held two cotton reels. Known as a double stitcher or straight sewer. Fitted into work bench.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||30.00 cm (Height), 36.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sewing machines, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sewing machines|
|Inscriptions:||The Singer Manufacturing is written in gold lettering across top. Model No. 29095 (?), Serial No. K936552. (1903)|
|Manufacturer:||Singer Manufacturing Co, Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States of America, 1903|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1924-1988|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory