Search the collections
Sewing Machine - Singer, 1898 Reg. No: SH 890970
- Singer sewing machine, serial number 15539186. Serial number indicates made in 1898.
Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond in the upstairs workroom.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Painted black with gold scroll work. Model No ...., Has two cotton reels possibly a double stitcher or straight sewer.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||28.00 cm (Height), 40.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sewing machines, trades, working life, poor fashion, 1890 s, victoria serial number|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sewing machines|
|Inscriptions:||"The Singer Manufacturing Co." written in gold lettering across top. Serial No. 15539186.
No. 56 painted on.
|Manufacturer:||Singer Manufacturing Co, New York, New York State, United States of America, 1898|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1924-1988|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory