Search the collections
Similar items over time
Sewing Machine - Trimming, Singer, 1902 Reg. No: SH 890972
- Singer sewing machine with trimming attachments, Serial No. K 74241. Made at Singer factory in Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA in 1902.
Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond in the upstairs workroom.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Painted black with gold scroll work. Trimming attachments added to stitching set into work bench.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||30.00 cm (Height), 40.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sewing machines, trades, working life, bl885268|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sewing machines|
|Inscriptions:||Serial No. K 74241 (1902).|
|Manufacturer:||Singer Manufacturing Co, Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States of America, 1902|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s-1980s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory