Search the collections
Sewing Machine - Singer, Cylinder Arm, 1916 Reg. No: SH 890973
- Singer cylinder arm sewing machine, Model No. 178, Serial No. G 4612106. Made at Singer factory iin Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA in 1916.
Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond in the upstairs workroom .Cylinder arm machines were used in the handbag section or for difficult work around coat sleeves.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Singer and gold scroll work on body of machine.
Serial number indicates made in Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA in 1916.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||35.00 cm (Height), 48.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, sewing machines, trades, working life, aw, drawing materials|
|Themes this item is part of:||Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sewing machines|
|Inscriptions:||Model No. 178, Serial No. G 4612106 (1916). Has No. 44 written in red paint on side.|
|Manufacturer:||Singer Manufacturing Co, Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States of America, 1916|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1924-1988|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory