Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used South Yarra, Australia
Endowment Plaque - 'Isolation Block the Gift of Mrs E.R. Moran', Methodist Babies' Home, Melbourne, circa 1929 Reg. No: SH 892009
- Plaque from the Methodist Babies' Home that was inaugurated in 1925 and opened in 1929. Money was raised for the home by the young people who were members of the Methodist Church. This plaque commemorates the donations made by Methodists around Victoria for the support of the home and the endowment of cots and beds.
The Methodist Babies Home was opened in 1929. Babies, especially from the inner-city slums, were referred to the home through the Children's Court. From 1929 until the early 1970s the Home's role was to care for babies awaiting adoption. From 1974, the direct care of neglected babies was phased out in favour of family-unit-based support services.
- Rectangular metal plaque with debossed lettering. Attachment hole pierces each corner.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Copelen Street Family Services, 1989
|Tagged with:||community organisations services, orphanages|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Methodist Babies Home, South Yarra, 1929-1970|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS|
|Secondary Classification:||Children's Homes|
|Inscriptions:||Debossed text reads "ISOLATION BLOCK / THE GIFT OF / MRS E.R. MORAN".|
|Place & Date Made:||Victoria, Australia, 1929 or later|
|Place & Date Used:||Methodist Babies Home, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, circa 1929-1970|