Label - Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, 1930s Reg. No: SH 890852
- Label for products made by Simpson's Gloves Pty, Ltd, Richmond, 1930s.
Founder of the business Amos Griffiths Simpson (1878-1953) chose the Stafford Knot as the logo for the company. Simpson was born in Stafford, England; his father was a shoemaker and Amos also entered the trade, before migrating to Australia.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- One green/yellow/white label with Simpson's logo. Label reads "612 (Sample No.) and 42 (Size).
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||81 mm (Height), 58 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||glovemaking, leatherworking, trades, working life|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||components & trims|
|Inscriptions:||Text: S/Sample No 612/Colour No./Size 42/Price.|
|User:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1930s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory