Search the collections
Book End - Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Green Suede, circa 1930s Reg. No: SH 890080
- Green suede book end probably manufactured by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, circa 1930s. It was found in the small downstairs storeroom at the factory. It may have been made to celebrate centenary of City of Melbourne in 1934.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Bookend covered with green suede, with black leather square on upright, ornamented with metal badge showing coat of arms of City of Melbourne. Bookend lined with brown leather.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||12.00 cm (Height), 10.00 cm (Width), 8.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, glovemaking, leatherworking, book ends|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Municipality of Melbourne, Victoria, Working Life & Trades Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||office equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Under coat of arms: 'MELBOURNE'
Handwritten on paper tag, in pencil: '277'
Handwritten on paper tag, in ink: 'S/M'
|Manufacturer:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s|
|Organisation Depicted:||City of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Municipality of Melbourne, Victoria
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection