Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Used Richmond, Australia
Wall Plaque - Winston Churchill, circa 1939-1945 Reg. No: SH 890840
- Plaster wall plaque featuring bust of Sir Winston Churchill on top, extending to shield at bottom, with patriotic flags and inscription at centre. Made during World War II as a patriotic ornament.
Found in small downstairs storeroom in Simpson's Glove Factory, Richmond, in 1989.
- Plaster wall plaque. Bust of Sir Winston Churchill on top, extending to shield. Printed paper label glued to middle of front of shield, red ,white and blue, with Union flag and Australian flag, aeroplane, tank and gun. Churchill has spotted bow tie, and hole at corner of mouth for cigar. Shield pale blue and gold. On back, a label. Hole near base of shield for screw. Cluster of small holes beneath label on front.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||39.00 cm (Height), 21.00 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||patriotism, repatriation, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Souvenirs & Mementoes|
|Inscriptions:||At centre: 'There'll Always be an / ENGLAND / and the DOMINIONS too!'|
|Person Depicted:||Sir Winston Churchill|
|Place & Date Used:||Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1939-1945|