Search the collections
Handbag - Navy Blue Suede, Simpson's Gloves, Richmond, Victoria, 1950s Reg. No: SH 890941
- Navy blue suede ladies' handbag, probably made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1950s. Handbag has a label indicating it was retailed by K.O. Geiger, Collins Street, Melbourne.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Navy blue suede box-shaped handbag which opens by sliding out from one end (like a drawer). Inside does not pull right out. Lining of navy blue satin. Small coin purse attached by chain to pocket inside.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||9.00 cm (Width), 20.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||9.5 cms High|
|Themes this item is part of:||Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Label "K.O. GEIGER / OF COLLINS ST. / MELBOURNE". Handle lined with navy leather. Small tag attached: "7741 / NAVY SUEDE / HE/T".|
|Manufacturer (Probable):||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, 1950s|
|Retailer:||K Geiger, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory