Search the collections
Writing Compendium - Simpson's Gloves, Black Leather, circa 1930s Reg. No: SH 890120
- Alternative Name(s): Writing Case
Black leather writing compendium manufactured by Simpson's Gloves, circa 1930s. It was found in the small downstairs storeroom.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Black leather writing case, stiffened with cardboard, pale grey cotton lining. Has compartment for envelopes, paper, etc.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||23.00 cm (Height), 29.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, glovemaking, leatherworking, office equipment, commerce|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Tag enclosed reads: 'No 1724 Price 7/9 O/N'|
|Manufacturer:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection