Search the collections
Doling Knifes - Blanchard, circa 1930s Reg. No: SH 890872
- Alternative Name(s): Paring Knife, Skiving Knife
Doling Knifes manufactured by Blanchard circa 1930s. Used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, where it was found in the large downstairs storeroom in a box with some head knives. This type of knife is used mainly for paring down edges of leather (removing unwanted thickness), often prior to gluing and stitching.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Four doling knives wrapped in scraps of cotton knit material.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||34.00 cm (Height), 9.40 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, glovemaking, leatherworking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Inscriptions:||Impressed on blades: "Blanchard (logo) a Paris".|
|Place & Date Manufactured:||France, circa 1930s|
|Place & Date Used:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s-1980s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection