Search the collections
Handbag - Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Black Leather, circa 1950s Reg. No: SH 890999
- Black leather handbag manufactured by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, circa 1950s. It was found in the storeroom behind the salesman's office.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Black leather bag with flap extending from back to close with press stud on front. Two narrow short handles, front and back. Inside lined with black cotton material. One pocket on back, edge bound with strip of black leather, containing black coin purse and double sided mirror. Manilla tag attached to handle, both sides written in red pencil.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||24.50 cm (Width), 28.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, glovemaking, leatherworking, clothing accessories, handbags|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||On tag: '19/- (nine- teen shillings)'
Small tag, front, in red pencil: '7203 / Blk / 29/6'
Small tag, back, in red pencil: '(indecipherable) / Black only / 12'
|Manufacturer (Probable):||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection